[GRASS-dev] compile gdal with grass

Sebastiaan Couwenberg sebastic at xs4all.nl
Wed Mar 11 02:55:16 PDT 2015

> Hi Martin and list,
> would it be possible to reflect these changes in the Ubuntu packages on
> the gdal launchpad (ubuntugis-unstable) and making them compatible with
> the grass7 packages?

You should direct this question to the UbuntuGIS list.

> I tried building gdal 1.11.2 --with-grass against preinstalled grass7
> packages (Ubuntu 14.04), but the grass7 (and qgis for that matter) are
> still depending on gdal-1.11.1. Now just to be able to browse the GRASS
> database in QGIS it would make it necessary to build all three from
> source. Or are there any ideas on avoiding that? The gdal-grass plugin
> unfortunately doesnt work with grass-7.

The libgdal-grass Debian package has support for GRASS 7, but since
UbuntuGIS is highly understaffed, there is hardly anyone actively
maintaining the packages there.

If you care about GIS software on Ubuntu, consider contributing the
UbuntuGIS packaging. It's probably a good idea if the GRASS upstream
packagers actively contribute to the GRASS packages in UbuntuGIS like jef
does for QGIS.

Kind Regards,

Bas