[GRASS-dev] r.watershed at poles

Andy Wickert andrewwickert at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 11:22:11 PDT 2015

Hi Soeren and all,

I appreciate the opinion, and in fact have split continents in the past,
but the project that I want to undertake requires many calculations with
variable sea-levels and would be much easier to run on a full globe (albeit
with null values in the ocean at each particular time-step).

That, and this unfortunately still doesn't address doing Antarctica without
reprojecting.

So really what I am saying is that I would like to hear ideas about the
technical side of r.watershed (maybe I should just email Markus Metz
directly) and how to change where it creates sinks. I know that it is able
to go across the 180 meridian, so this boundary has been modified for
lat/lon, and it therefore in my mind would be feasible to tell it that the
north and south poles are not a sink for flow.

If there is really no way to do this with r.watershed, I will write code
myself, but I am hoping that I can instead just improve r.watershed.

Thanks,

Andy