[GRASS-dev] compiling GRASS fails at configure, unable to locate GDAL library

Paulo van Breugel p.vanbreugel at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 05:21:19 PDT 2015

On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 12:10 PM, Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 12:03 PM, Paulo van Breugel
> > On 29-10-15 11:38, Markus Neteler wrote:
> >> This is not recommended - instead use the GDAL-GRASS plugin to
> >> disentangle them properly.
> >
> > Thanks Marcus for the feedback. Yes I did compile GDAL with GRASS
> support,
> > mostly because using the GDAL-GRASS plugin has always been problematic,
>
> ... indeed it is asking for troubles :)
> That's why the plugin was developed.

I know that is the idea. However, for me since I started to use GRASS 7 it
has been the other way around for me. Getting things to work with the
plugin has always provided me with much more (unsolvable) trouble than the
admittedly more cumbersome compiling GDAL with GRASS support route. The
last time I gave it a try was about half a year or bit more ago I think, so
perhaps things have improved since.

> > something I never have managed to solve, while compiling GDAL with GRASS
> GIS
> > support always have worked without problem for me. But it has been a
> while I
> > tried last, so I will try again, see if it works this time.
>
> Be sure to pick the right version, e.g.
> http://download.osgeo.org/gdal/1.11.3/
> --> gdal-grass-1.11.3.tar.gz

And in the meantime I realize what went wrong. It is indeed the kind of
trouble you were referring too. I usually do the following steps to make a
fresh install of GRASS:1) Get a fresh copy of the source files, 2) run
configure, 3) run make, 4) remove the old GRASS program folder in
/usr/local, 5) run make install.

For no particular reason, this time I started by removing the GRASS program
folder. Now, what I didn't realize is that during configuration of GRASS
there is a check whether GDAL is installed properly. It is, except that I
just removed the GRASS program folder. Because GDAL is compiled with GRASS
support, the check for a properly installed GDAL throws an error of GDAL
not finding GRASS.

Keeping the order as outlined above, removing the GRASS folder only just
before running 'make install' works.

I still agree I should try to use the GDAL-GRASS plugin instead of using
GDAL compiled with GRASS support. Will do that when I have a little bit
more time at hand.

Thanks for the feedback Marcus, appreciated.