[GRASS-dev] projection NC sample data set

Paulo van Breugel p.vanbreugel at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 02:02:20 PDT 2016

 Hi, on https://grass.osgeo.org/download/sample-data/ it is suggested that
the projection of the NC sample data set is NAD83(HARN) / North Carolina (
EPSG 3358). However, according to the projection information of the sample
dataset it self, the projection is Lambert Conformal Conic.

The description on http://georepository.com/ reads that NAD83(HARN) / North
Carolina uses the NAD83(HARN) geographic 2D CRS as its base CRS and the
SPCS83 North Carolina zone (meters) (Lambert Conic Conformal (2SP)) as its
projection.  So I see where the LCC is coming from.

If, however, I create a new location with EPSG 3358, the name of the
projection (g.region -p) is NAD83(HARN) / North Carolina.

Which of the two should be given  / shown with g.region -p I am not sure,
but I think it would be good to be consistent.

Paulo