[GRASS-dev] GSoC 2016 - PyQt GRASS - Report 2

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Sat Jun 4 11:47:48 PDT 2016

Hi Ondrej,

the screenshots looks good. For the code, it might little bit too soon to
judge it, but just keep in mind the need for design we talked about
earlier. For some simple help, you can use pylint tool which will demand
some code style. Start with the file tools/pylintrc.txt in the GRASS source
code.

On Sat, Jun 4, 2016 at 5:27 AM, Ondřej Pešek <pesej.ondrek at gmail.com> wrote:

> What did you get done this week?
> * Now the code is reading those types - float, range, sql_query, flags

When I ran it for v.buffer I see you are using text edit / line edit for
float even when it is not [multiple]. I think Qt has double spin box which
you can use. In general, you don't have to fully follow the current look or
behavior. If you think that something can be done in a better way, do it.

> * It also writes their names or labels and types into GUI

For example, this would be one thing we can reconsider. The shorter
description (label or description field) shows as the name/label for a
field while the longer description (description field) shows as a tooltip
of the label. One improvement could be showing it as a tooltip for the
input field as well (or perhaps in a completely different way).

Another thing to consider would be the visibility or emphasis of the actual
name of the parameter, but we can leave that for later.

> * I also want to make the GUI little bit more elegant. It means I want to
> insert spacer on the end of every tab -> it means that widgets will be at
> the top, not averagely placed.

Also note that sometimes the list of widgets can be long, see e.g. g.region
Resolution tab.

Best,
Vaclav