[GRASS-dev] OSGeo-SoC 2016 application

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Tue Mar 15 05:09:58 PDT 2016

Dear Bo,

On 15/03/16 03:54, Yang, Bo (yangb2) wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My name is Bo Yang, a Ph. D. student in the Department of Geography,
> University of Cincinnati.  I have a bachelor degree in Mathematics and
> MS in Computer Science. I am proficient in Python, C/C++, R and have
> utilized QGIS and GRASS a lot in my study and research project. I am
> really interested in OSGeo-SoC2016. It would be a great opportunity if I
> can make contributions as well as learn to become an open-source developer.
>
> For years I have worked with raster processing algorithms and
> computation efficiency, for example, coding (python) to process large
> volume of remote sensing data, therefore I am interested in the existing
> idea:
>
> GRASS: Additional segmentation algorithms for i.segment.

In our previous exchange via private mail, I already sent you the
necessary pointers for this subject. Markus Metz and I are willing to
mentor a student on this. I think it would be a marvelous addition to
GRASS' image treatment toolbox.

Don't hesitate to post on this list if you have any other questions
concerning this subject.

I think you will have to chose quite quickly which one of your two
subjects you wish to pursue, as the deadline for applications will
arrive fast, and it is probably better to concentrate on one subject and
do that well. There have been cases, however, of students proposing more
than one subject.

Best wishes,
Moritz