[GRASS-dev] grass wiki: de-emphasize grass6

Paulo van Breugel p.vanbreugel at gmail.com
Fri Aug 11 05:51:05 PDT 2017

On 7/29/17 2:01 PM, Moritz Lennert wrote:
> On 29/07/17 12:13, Paulo van Breugel wrote:
>> Hi devs,
>>
>> I was looking at https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/R_statistics and I
>> noticed that references to GRASS 6 and spgrass6 are still prominent
>> on this page. Perhaps it is time to move all these to a less
>> prominent place on the page, e.g., as note near the end that R can
>> also interface with grass 6 through the spgrass6 package?
>>
>> More in general, there are several places on the wiki where grass 6
>> still features rather prominently (e.g.,
>> https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_Help). The wiki is a community
>> effort so I can make an attempt to improve pages, but before I do so,
>> perhaps it is good to have a general idea / consensus how to deal
>> with information/links to grass 6.
>>
>> In my opinion, the emphasis should be on information related to grass
>> 7, removing reference to grass6 were not relevant, and otherwise move
>> it to e.g., 'legacy' pages (which could like back to the more recent
>> information, similar to the manual pages). What do you think?
>
> +1
>
> Ideally we should probably avoid references to specific versions as
> much as possible...

I have updated the page. Text is now more version agnostic. Added 'notes
for grass6 users at end of page, with the suggestion to move to grass
7'. Also removed some dead links. It would be good if we could add more
recent examples (articles, tutorials, blog posts) in a separate examples
section.

I kept the link to https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/R_statistics/rgrass7
but what about merging it with R_statistics? If we do, can keep
https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/R_statistics/spgrass6 as a page to go
for grass6 users.