[GRASS-dev] GRASS GIS and GSoC

Blumentrath, Stefan Stefan.Blumentrath at nina.no
Thu Mar 30 00:58:23 PDT 2017

Hi again,

I would be pleased to be co-mentor, but unfortunately I am a) not really a software developer (more an above the average interested user probably) and more important b) I will be on paternity leave most of the summer, so I will not have capacity to follow up properly.

Wrapping a module around the libraries Luca and Marcus mentioned would be the way to go I guess for Sentinel-data.

Another approach for fetching open or public data could also be to try to improve the g.gui.cswbrowser module [1] and add a “Add data from catalogue” module. But I am not sure if that is feasible (see [2]).
It would be really cool and flexible for all sorts of publicly available data and following standards (CSW, Atom feeds…). Users could provide URL to catalogues of their choice, search the data and add what is available in a standard-adherent way…
A drawback is that the wx.metadata tools are not production ready yet… So, those knowing the code and issues better could probably give a hint if this is a path worth following or not. But maybe this can be a “standalone module” as well?

Cheers,
Stefan

1: https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/ISO/INSPIRE_Metadata_Support#Browsing_and_searching-_g.gui.cswbrowser
2: https://github.com/geopython/MetaSearch/issues/25 and http://hub.qgis.org/issues/11733