[GRASS-dev] Gaining write privileges to usr/local and subdirectories

Paul Schrum paul.schrum at gmail.com
Wed May 24 10:28:37 PDT 2017

Going by
https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Compile_and_Install_Ubuntu#GRASS_GIS and
focusing on GRASS GIS 7 trunk:

1. Last week I did

svn co https://svn.osgeo.org/grass/grass/trunk grass7_trunk

On a directory under my ownership.

2.  Today in that same directory I ran
svn up

3. I ran the large statement which begins with

CFLAGS="-O2 -Wall" LDFLAGS="-s" ./configure \

Here is where the problem is.  It seems to go into an infinite loop.*

Also note that when I run it from /usr/local/src/grass7_trunk -- where I
was running it when I started this thread -- it succeeded.  It did not go
into the infinite loop.

* When the process starts, the first few lines read:
./configure: 229: ./configure: Cannot fork
./configure: 300: ./configure: Cannot fork
./configure: 300: ./configure: Cannot fork

There is a lot more I could send but have not, including the last lines
before it restarts at the top of the loop.

Please let me know what more information to five you or what changes I
should make.

- Paul