[GRASS-dev] [GRASS-SVN] r71471 - grass/trunk/locale/po

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Sun Sep 10 09:11:29 PDT 2017

On Sun, Sep 10, 2017 at 5:41 PM, Veronica Andreo <veroandreo at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Yes, we translate in transifex and then (still manually) merge into
>> the source code. I did that recently.
>>
>> From what I understood (Luca knows best) I described the procedure here:
>> https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/browser/grass/trunk/locale/README#L116
>>
>> TODO: make the merge-back into trunk and relbranch72 a cronjob on the
>> grass.osgeo.org server.
>> Yet I had to do several manual cleanups after the merge, so probably a
>> cronjob is impossible.
>
> just out of curiosity... what kind of cleanups? Is there anything we could
> do when translating to avoid those cleanups afterwards?

For example,
- disconnected (i.e. unused) translations accumulate at the end of the
.po files. This needs to be trimmed from time to time. There is a
gettext tool for that but it doesn't seem to have much effect
- if a new language is initiated on transifex, several .po file header
lines are not populated properly. To be fixed manually or some
advanced "sed" magic
- "make verify" reveils errors which need to be manually fixed.

Not sure how to address these issues in a scripted way.

Markus