[GRASS-dev] [GRASS GIS] #3622: r.out.gdal export in USGSDEM format takes very long time and finally crashes

GRASS GIS trac at osgeo.org
Fri Aug 17 07:35:47 PDT 2018

#3622: r.out.gdal export in USGSDEM format takes very long time and finally
crashes
  Reporter:  dido        |      Owner:  grass-dev@…
      Type:  defect      |     Status:  new
 Component:  Raster      |    Version:  7.4.0
Resolution:              |   Keywords:  r.out.gdal export USGSDEM long time
                         |  crashes
       CPU:  x86-64      |   Platform:  MSWindows 7

Comment (by dido):

 GeoTIFF export runs fine, producing a 10G file. I chose to export to USGS
 DEM because I expect a tenfold decrease in file size. At least that can be
 observed if I do a DEM export of the same 10G GeoTIFF using e.g.
 GlobalMapper.

 I don't have an idea if the MEM driver will handle raster this big. My PC
 has 16G of physical RAM and quite enough virtual memory.

 Precision loss is fine for me as the input raster is also int16. I suppose
 GRASS uses 64 bit floats internally (DCELL) and the truncation to int16
 will be handled by the export driver. Actually loss of speed due to
 truncation calculations is not an issue - GeoTIFF export runs for a quite
 reasonable time.

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/3622#comment:2>
GRASS GIS <https://grass.osgeo.org>