[GRASS-dev] GSoC introduction Roberta Fagandini

Roberta Fagandini robifagandini at gmail.com
Thu May 3 09:48:11 PDT 2018

> Hi Roberta,

Hi Moritz and Roberto!

> On 25/04/18 18:03, Roberta Fagandini wrote:

>> <mailto:mlennert at club.worldonline.be>>:
>>     Looking at your bash scripts, I think the first thing to do during
>>     this bonding period is, as you planned yourself, to get familiar
>>     with the writing of GRASS modules in Python. You can have a look at
>>     existing scripts [1, 2] to get feeling for this works and how to
>>     structure addon code in order to make it directly installable with
>>     g.extension.
>>
>>     You can find the actual function definitions and documentation of
>>     the GRASS Python scripting library at [3]. The functions in that
>>     library should be more than enough to translate your scripts into a
>>     (or several) modules.
>>
>>     Be aware that GRASS modules create their own GUI. So, unless you
>>     need some interactive features in your modules, you will not have to
>>     program your own GUI.
>>

>> Thank you for your precious suggestions! I'll start studying how to write
>> a GRASS module in Python in the next days and at the same time I will keep
>> on testing the procedures so as to show you some results and fix some open
>> points.
>>

>>     Something else you should probably do during this bonding time is to
>>     elaborate a schema of your algorithm, so that it is easier to
>>     understand what it does at each step.
>>

>> Yes, this could be very useful also for me in order to better organize
>> and put in order everything!
>>

> Have you advanced on any of this ? Do you have any questions ? Please
> don't hesitate to ask on the mailing list.

Yes, I started working with GRASS Python scripting library. I'm following
the link [0] you suggested, I'm also looking at other existing GRASS
scripts [1,2] and moreover, Roberto gave me one of his scripts as an
example. I have just committed the first version of the python script I'm
working on, it works and I'm quite satisfied ;-)
Tomorrow I want to elaborate the schema of the algorithm and at the same
time, I have to keep testing the procedure. As I wrote in the bash file,
shadows detection seems to be strongly land cover dependent therefore I
think it is necessary to test the procedure using several images sensed in
different seasons, latitude, etc.

Anyway, I'll commit some results tomorrow so as to show you something more
concrete!

> Best wishes,
> Moritz

Best regards,