[GRASS-dev] [release] planning GRASS 7.4.2

Jürgen E. Fischer jef at norbit.de
Wed Nov 28 05:54:06 PST 2018

Hi Martin,

On Wed, 28. Nov 2018 at 14:39:16 +0100, Martin Landa wrote:
> 1) update GRASS package (as current) to OSGeo4W when released
> + a new GRASS version available in OSGeo4W when released
>  - we don't care about broken QGIS GRASS plugin
>
> 2) publish GRASS release in OSGeo4W as test package and change to
> current when new QGIS point release
> + QGIS GRASS plugin will be not broken
> - new GRASS version available when QGIS point release published
> +/- there is still possibility to install new GRASS version from Expr area
>
> Any comments? I would vote for 2). In this case Juergen could you
> change test -> curr in GRASS setup.hint when pushing new QGIS point
> release to OSGeo4W or let me/us know to do it? Would be nice to
> collaborate more closely to avoid broken QGIS-GRASS interfaces.

Last time the GRASS release was shortly before the QGIS release and fell in
smoothly - this time it's shortly after.  The QGIS release echedule is set long
upfront.

Not putting the patch level into the GRASS library names (and keeping an eye on
the ABI - but I suppose the library interfaces only change rarely anyway - and
if so not on point releases), would be a third option.  IIRC there's also still
a safety check to remove in the GRASS libs to make this possible.  Then GRASS
point releases wouldn't need a QGIS rebuild at all.

Jürgen

--
Jürgen E. Fischer         norBIT GmbH               Tel. +49-4931-918175-31