[GRASS-dev] GRASS Docker container - new website ?

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Fri Jul 3 07:15:14 PDT 2020

Hi Rainer,

On Fri, Jul 3, 2020 at 10:58 AM Rainer M Krug <Rainer at krugs.de> wrote:

> I just found the docker images, and am happy, that they are there!
>
> But I am have three questions:
>
> There is limited info on how they can be used on https://hub.docker.com/r/mundialis/grass-py3-pdal

There is more info here but dockerhub isn't showing it...

> but there is no mention of the GUI (I assume it is not working?)

An attempt with GUI is here:

https://hub.docker.com/r/neteler/docker-alpine-grass-gis-gui

based on  https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/blob/master/docker/alpine/Dockerfile_alpine_wxgui

> or examples on how the image can be used. It would eb useful, if some more info could be provided by somebody who uses / knows these images.
> It would be useful, to include a link to the documentations itself in the new website.

Agreed... it is all due to lack of time but writing documentation
could be done by "anyone".

> The second questions concerns the R integration - it sounds intriguing, to consider that R interfaces with the GRASS docker container. Is this possible? Has somebody tried it?

I haven't but others likely yes.
I'd suggest a multi-stage docker build approach to "blend" the
different images together.

> The third question concerns AddOns - are they installed in the container, or outside?

We do that inside while building it (in this case "actinia" which uses
above docker images as the basis) with a convenient CSV file listing
the addons and their respective repos:
see
https://github.com/mundialis/actinia_core/blob/master/docker/actinia-core/Dockerfile#L73

HTH,