[GRASS-dev] Week 5 report: Creation of a new GRASS GIS startup mechanism

L.Kladivova L.Kladivova at seznam.cz
Sat Jul 4 05:51:55 PDT 2020

Hello GRASS GIS Community,

I am sending my report for Week 5 (June 29-July 5). The report can also be
found in the project wiki: https://trac.osgeo.org/…dow
(https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/GSoC/2020/StartupWindow).

1) What did I complete this week?

I ended up adding of the new mapset action to the data catalog (see ​
https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/731
(https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/731), see ​https://github.com/OSGeo/
grass/issues/717(https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/issues/717)):

   * adjusting the code in gis_set.py to accommodate the new changes,
   * creation of new function in datacatalog/tree called insertMapset for
   inserting a mapset into a virtual tree,
   * adjusting the code in gis_set.py and tree.py to accommodate the new
   changes.

I also made two other PR related to Data Catalog. First one makes data tab
the default in GUI. The Data tab was moved so it is the first tab from the
left and it is the default when the GUI opens. (see ​https://github.com/
OSGeo/grass/pull/756(https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/756), ​https://
github.com/OSGeo/grass/issues/748(https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/issues/748)
). Second one merges LocationMapTree?
(https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/GSoC/2020/LocationMapTree) and
DataCatalogTree?
(https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/GSoC/2020/DataCatalogTree) classes (see ​
https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/755
(https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/755), ​https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/
issues/740(https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/issues/740)).

I have also started to work on a bigger issue which allows users to add
additional grass databases as currently, only one database is in the GUI
data catalog (see ​https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/761
(https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/761), ​https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/
issues/741(https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/issues/741)). Unfortunately, I
made the mistake upon committing into GitHub?
(https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/GSoC/2020/GitHub) so now till correction
it is also associated with other commits. In this PR I made the toolbar
button for adding an existing database and then edited several functions
mainly in datacatalog/tree.py that need to handle more than one database.
This PR is not finished yet, I am a bit stuck here and need to solve other
processing with mentors.

2) What am I going to achieve for next week?

I would finalize on the PR Add multiple GRASS databases (see ​https://
github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/761(https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/761), ​
https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/issues/741
(https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/issues/741)). I would also start to work on
other issues related mainly to the Data Catalog:

   * Add, rename and delete of Location and Mapset in Data catalog (see ​
   https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/issues/710
   (https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/issues/710))
   * Add new location action to database node in Data tab (see ​https://
   github.com/OSGeo/grass/issues/747
   (https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/issues/747))
   * Startup screen: Distinguish mapsets by ownership and lock (see ​
   https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/issues/714
   (https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/issues/714))

3) Is there any blocking issue?
No, it is not.