[GRASS-dev] GSoC 2021: Final report: First steps towards a new GRASS GIS Single-Window GUI

Linda Kladivová L.Kladivova at seznam.cz
Sun Aug 22 11:02:06 PDT 2021

Hello everyone,

I am sending my Final GSoC report. The more detailed version with permanent
links on GitHub PRs and with several screenshots can be found at the project
wiki: https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/GSoC/2021/SingleWindowLayout#
FinalReport
(https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/GSoC/2021/SingleWindowLayout#FinalReport)
.

Abstract:
The project was focused mainly on the extensive Graphical User Interface
refactoring necessary to prepare GRASS for Single-Window GUI. In addition to
a good programming base, the simple working Single-Window GUI prototype was
built in a parallel environment. This Single-Window frame largely copies the
design (mockup) which the author had proposed for the GSoC application (see
​(https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/wxGUIDevelopment/SingleWindow)[1]). All
main functionality will be put into operation after the successful merge of
PR [2] and PR [3]. (https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/1789)However, to
completely replace the current Multi-Window GUI solution, many other
improvements are still expected.

The state of the art BEFORE the start of GSoC:
Although the GRASS GUI has been enriched with many new features since last
year, the basic Multi-Window GUI concept used in all historical GRASS
versions has been preserved. As the name suggests Multi-Window GUI consists
of several windows (frames) - the control window and additional separate map
display windows. The control window includes a notebook containing 5 tabs in
a standard 2D map view - Data, Display, Modules, Console, and Python.

The state of the art AFTER GSoC:
A large part of the project was focused on GUI refactoring. The core work
had to be done all at once in the PR ​
(https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/1675)[2] and since it overturns the
core logic of map display widgets, it was decided to merge it after GSoC
when the GRASS 8 will be released. To sum it up, we are probably not
entirely done with the refactoring, but the main part was managed.

In addition, a Single-Window GUI prototype has been coded in a parallel
environment. I with help of my mentors handled to get to the stage where
most of the functions are working. There is just missing completion of PR
[3] and possible check/fix of workspaces functioning. It is important to
emphasize here that I'm talking about basic functionality. To provide a
really user-friendly environment, many other things will have to be changed
or reprogrammed. All those steps are summed up in the "Next steps"
paragraph.

Conclusion:
To follow the project idea I wrote for the GSoC application, I succeeded
(with help of my mentors) to provide the first steps for a new era of Single
-Window GUI. Those steps have a form of refactoring as well as a new
parallel simple Single-Window GUI prototype. I believe it's one big step
forward and I am looking forward to further development of which I would
like to be a part.

Next Steps:
All these following points assume that the main functionality is working. In
other words, we must have a merged main refactoring PR [2] and a merged PR
[3](https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/1789) aiming at the implementation
of the AuiNotebook closing event. Then several improvements are possible
(and probably necessary):

   * Enable undocking the Map Display notebook tab to a separate window. It
   will allow each user to use the Single-Window GUI as the Multi-Window
   GUI.
   * Fix switching to the Console pane in an automatic notebook if any
   information is written there.
   * Check/test if workspaces are functioning properly.
   * Focus on a newly added Map Display tab in the Display pane (now it may
   not be clear at first glance that it has been added).
   * Modify the appearance for the dark mode. Some parts are ugly and
   illegible (names of AuiNotebook tabs, names of panes, ugly gradients
   etc.).
   * Add the option for starting GRASS as the Single-Window GUI => we want
   GRASS geeks to try it out. :-)

Other improvements mainly concern the organization of widgets and possible
ideas for the future:

   * It is necessary to change the rendering of the 3D View panel. Now the 3
   D View pane is added as another panel under the Display tab - very
   problematic in terms of space.
   * A part of the Console pane in the startup Single-Window layout is not
   visible. We should completely reorganize the Console tab, such as the
   Output window and Command prompt data outputs go into two separate tabs.
   * If both Map Display tabs are displayed side by side, the status bar
   cannot fit in the space. The solution is to create a separate dialog,
   which will contain a check box and other settings for the Map Display
   notebook tab.
   * Each user should be able to choose a convenient layout of widgets and
   save this setting for future sessions. It should be possible via
   perspectives.
   * Creating, saving, and selecting perspectives along with switching to
   dark mode could be part of a new tab menu called "View".

Permanent links and screenshots can be found at [4] and [5].

[1] https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/wxGUIDevelopment/SingleWindow
(https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/wxGUIDevelopment/SingleWindow)

[2] ​https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/1675
(https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/1675)