[GRASS-dev] Improved Integration of GRASS and Jupyter Notebooks

Caitlin Haedrich caitlin.haedrich at gmail.com
Sun Jun 6 17:02:21 PDT 2021

Hi Everyone,

With the bonding period wrapping up, here is a brief update on what I've
been working on so far.
*1. What did I accomplish during the bonding period?*

   - I introduced myself in dev and SOC mailing lists [1].
   - I had a productive meeting with my mentors, Vashek Petras, Helena
   Mitasova and Stefan Blumentrath last Friday.  We discussed the best
   development environment (see second to last bullet point) and setting up
   the main GRASS repository to run in Binder (see last bullet point).
   - Prepared the wiki page [2].
   - Set up the GitHub repository for project [3].
   - Set up developer environment. Since development will be easier on
   Linux, I set up a VirtualBox with Linux (Ubuntu) on my Windows machine. I
   compiled and installed GRASS and installed Jupyter Notebooks in Ubuntu.
   - Opened my first PR [4] which contains binder dependencies.

*2. What do you plan on doing next week?*
I've started working on setting up the GRASS repository to run in Binder
[4]. This week I plan to continue working on that, set up branches for each
of the PRs, and begin writing functions for the grass.jupyter library.

*3. Are you blocked on anything?*
No, I'm not currently blocked on anything.

Best,
Caitlin

[1] https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-dev/2021-May/095165.html
[2] https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/GSoC/2021/JupyterAndGRASS