[GRASS-dev] [SoC] GSoC 2021 - Parallelization of raster modules for GRASS GIS
Aaron Saw Min Sern
aaronsms at u.nus.edu
Sun Jun 20 23:40:34 PDT 2021
Week 2 has concluded, and this is my report for this week.
1) What did I get done this week?
* Address changes for the PR  , e.g. to use a standard option "nprocs" will now be a parameter for users to indicate the number of threads
* Write test cases for parallel execution
* Drafted a PR alongside its implementation 
* Write new test cases for the modules 
2) What do I plan on doing next week?
I have managed to come up with a way to parallelize output-based modules like r.neighbor. The idea is to make use of a temporary segment file to allow threads to perform random write operations, which is not possible directly on compressed raster format file without using intermediate cache. With this design in mind, I intend to continue to parallelize similar modules next week. Also, there may be ideas in discussion to encapsulate a benchmarking framework possibly under grass.benchmark as this will be used repeatedly in the future to measure performance.
3) Am I blocked on anything?
No, it has been good so far.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the grass-dev