[GRASS-PSC] Open issues regarding OSGeo Incubation

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at wheregroup.com
Sun Mar 11 19:47:22 EDT 2007

On Sun, March 11, 2007 22:41, Paul Kelly wrote:
> Hello Helena
>
> On Sun, 11 Mar 2007, Helena Mitasova wrote:
>
>> Paul.
>>
>> note that after I sent my email, Arnulf put the document on wiki where
>> it is
>> easier to access and comment
>> on, so please put your updates there.
>> http://grass.gdf-hannover.de/wiki/RFC1_Development_Page
>
> OK will look at doing that later. But the one in the rfc/ directory in CVS
> will still be the "official" version then?

Hello,
yes the official version should be a readily accessible and stable
document. OSGeo itself uses the portal website but managing the documents
in a code repository makes even more sense.

>> As for the definition of GRASS project, I think what you have proposed
>> is
>> good
>> although we may skip "currently headquarted...." so
>> that the definition does not have to be changed when e.g. the
>> institution
>> changes
>> its name and in general so that it does not have the word "currently"
>> which
>> makes
>
> OK - the reason I was being so specific was to be sure there is no
> confusion with other versions of GRASS there are and have been in the
> past: as I said I'm not sure if this is important or not; perhaps Arnulf
> will be able to compare it to other projects as you suggested.
>
> Paul

I will forward this request to Incubation as none of us has been this
precise in the definition before. But it is a valid point and resolving it
will get us yet a little closer to understanding what a "project" really
is.

Best regards,
Arnulf.

Arnulf Christl