[GRASS-PSC] Statement Vaclav Petras

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 19:52:51 PST 2021

Dear GRASS community,

Thank you for a nomination for a second term at PSC. I've been at PSC since
2016 and a core developer since 2012. I'm working in academia mostly on
developing or helping people to develop code for research. I think I have
touched a lot of files in the GRASS GIS code base, but according to the
command below [1], it is only 16.5%. I presented GRASS GIS at various
conferences and taught it to graduate students and at workshops. My
favorite presentation I did is perhaps *33 Years Of GRASS GIS As An
Innovation Platform* [2, 3].

As a PSC member, I will vote for sponsoring crucial or special project
needs on top of sprints and promotion what we did so far. Additionally, I
would like to see more support and promotion within the project for people
and organizations which provide some kind of GRASS GIS support or services
as part of their business. For example, I think that a developer seeking
crowdfunding should not only be supported by the project, but there should
be an established and ongoing process of doing that. Therefore, I will
support proposals which make promotion, sponsoring, customer-contractor
matching, and contributing and thanking by money more common and present in
our community.

Best,
Vaclav

[1] python -c "print(100 * $(git log --pretty='%H' --author='wenzeslaus' |
while read commit_hash; do git show --oneline --name-only $commit_hash |
tail -n+2; done | sort | uniq | xargs ls -d 2>/dev/null | wc -l) / $(git
ls-tree -r master --name-only | wc -l))"
[2] https://ncsu-geoforall-lab.github.io/grass-as-a-platform/ncgis2017.html
[3] https://youtu.be/Vv5NnPg6MOY