[GRASS-PSC] PSC Meeting minutes - May 13th, 2022

Anna Petrášová kratochanna at gmail.com
Tue May 17 06:06:56 PDT 2022

On Tue, May 17, 2022 at 4:01 AM Moritz Lennert <mlennert at club.worldonline.be>
wrote:

> Hi !
>
> Le 13 mai 2022 23:21:07 GMT+02:00, Veronica Andreo <veroandreo at gmail.com>
> a écrit :
> >Dear all,
> >
> >Here are the PSC meeting minutes of our meeting today, May 13, 2022:
> >https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/PSC/Minutes/PSC_Meeting_20220513
>
> Thanks for those minutes!
>
> A few remarks:
>
> - No GSoC students: do we have an idea about why so few applications? Any
> ideas on how to improve that?

We got 2 applications, in one case the student never engaged anybody and in
the other the student didn't pass the test Vashek gave them. There were
couple of email threads on the general mentor list that noted lower
engagement this year with possible reasons varying from low stipend, covid,
changed rules, and badly designed GSoC page. On the other hand, the GSoC
administrators reported higher number of applications than usual. So I
don't know. I believe the best case for us is when a student personally
connected to a GRASS dev/community member applies. We should also think
about how to reach a CS community, but GSoC stipend might not be as
competitive as it used to be, so the student motivation needs to be about
joining open source community, not just money.