[GRASS-stats] multiple grass installations and spgrass6()

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Mon Jan 21 11:56:51 PST 2013

The message is coming from GRASS, almost certainly from v.out.ogr, and
almost certainly because you have multiple versions of GDAL on your system
(or a GDAL component or plugin). I am not able to help with GRASS 7
problems, it is an unstable development version. Can you export the object
to a vector file in GRASS itself, not inside R? Does the same error occur?
Does the error rather (or also, if GDAL is broken) occur on reading a
shapefile into R with readOGR()? You'll have to separate the problems
yourself until you find out which software component is wrongly linked to
GDAL - best to remove all binary installs of GDAL which on Debian/Ubuntu
are notorious for causing trouble, and install GDAL from source, then
re-install GRASS from source, and rgdal from source.

See also:

http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-user/2009-July/051737.html

http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-stats/2009-January/000897.html

at the ends of the threads. In both cases the GDAL/OGR GRASS plugins were
the culprits, often caused by binary installs of GDAL.

Roger