[GRASS-stats] multiple grass installations and spgrass6()

S. Koukoulas (lists) sotkouklistes at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 11:06:59 PST 2013

On 01/21/2013 09:56 PM, Roger Bivand wrote:
> The message is coming from GRASS, almost certainly from v.out.ogr, and
> almost certainly because you have multiple versions of GDAL on your
> system (or a GDAL component or plugin). I am not able to help with
> GRASS 7 problems, it is an unstable development version. Can you
> export the object to a vector file in GRASS itself, not inside R?
yes (from R to grass is ok - I followed your example with meuse data
just fine)
> Does the same error occur?
no
> Does the error rather (or also, if GDAL is broken) occur on reading a
> shapefile into R with readOGR()?
no, readOGR() works fine (tried with shapefiles)
> You'll have to separate the problems yourself until you find out which
> software component is wrongly linked to GDAL - best to remove all
> binary installs of GDAL which on Debian/Ubuntu are notorious for
> causing trouble, and install GDAL from source, then re-install GRASS
> from source, and rgdal from source.
>
> See also:
>
> http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-user/2009-July/051737.html
>
> http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-stats/2009-January/000897.html
>
> at the ends of the threads. In both cases the GDAL/OGR GRASS plugins
> were the culprits, often caused by binary installs of GDAL.

ok many thanks - I think that I understand the problem now (but I will
not do anything about it for the moment, as I want to be able to work
with grass6.4.3 as well).

I can import my spatial data to R one way or another, I was just hoping
that there would be a way for the grass package to recognise the right
versions without making redundant one version in favor of another.
best wishes,
sotiris