[GRASS-stats] raster data in R

Rainer M Krug Rainer at krugs.de
Thu Sep 10 07:36:51 PDT 2015

Marisa Donnelly <madonnelly at ucdavis.edu> writes:

> Hello,
> I am currently working on a project attempts to summarize the potential
> mosquito reproductive rate of regions in California given the region's mean
> annual daily temperature. I have a written a model in R that uses
> temperature as an input and outputs the reproductive rate given that
> temperature. I have also constructed a raster map in GRASS GIS version 7.1
> of the aggregated California daily tmean values for a year. I would like to
> take the tmean temperature value of each pixel in the California map, input
> it into my model in R, and generate a reproductive rate for each pixel,
> which I would then like to be able to map. I would like to find the best
> and most efficient way to bring in the map data into R and input it into my
> model. Do you any suggestions for the best way to do this?

I assume that you are accustomed to using R.

Just check out the rgrass7 package - readRAST() allows you to read your
raster, then you do your calculations with the data, then you add them
to the map object in R and finally you can safe them by using
writeRAST() back to GRASS.

Cheers,

Rainer

Stellenbosch University