[GRASS-translations] online localization

Milena Nowotarska do.milenki at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 09:14:46 EDT 2009

Hi all,

2009/10/2 Jan Trochta <j.trochta at gmail.com>

> HI all,
> Thank for colecction of your ideas and comments (expecially Milena and
> Nikos)
> >From your comment it seems that Pootle is not the best solution for us.
> So next week I will try to register myself and grass to transifex and
> try to make some howto for new translators.
> Are you Ok with it?

Great.
But we still need a tool for translation online -  as it states in transifex
FAQ [1], the translator can take the file and lock it, so noone else would
take it the same time. Translation need to be done on desktop application.
Then the file have to be sent back to the project maintainer or translation
mamager, or attached to the upstream project's bug/ticket reporting system.
If we coudn't find any better online translation tool, I would opt for using
pootle anyway.

Last week I was testing Virtaal [2], desktop translation tool mentioned by
Robert. It is very *helpful* for the translator, perhaps the best tool on
windows platform now :)

When we switch to transifex, we must not forget to update the wiki messages
translation page [3] so noone would take .po files directly from svn ;)

Cheers,
Milena

[1] http://www.transifex.net/faq/
[2] http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/virtaal/features