ColorTable

Greg LaCoste greg at seismo.do.usbr.gov
Thu Dec 10 11:05:28 EST 1992

Question: I use the following color table with
Grass4.0 and xgrass alpha on an sgi indigo
displaying to a 256 color Tektronix Xterm:

        % 365 3292
        365:0 3292:256

What I would expect is a
smooth gray scale going from black to white
according to altitude going from 365 feet to
3292 feet.  I realize I might not get all the
colors because of preallocation by the system
but I consistently get no more than 6 gray
levels.  Can you tell me what I am doing wrong?
The map files were created using m.dmaUSGSread
from USGS dem data.

Also I snagged an alpha copy of xgrass and I
think you've made a good start.  I suggest
that you look at the OSF Level One Certification
Checklist if you can get a copy.  Also I've used
Widget Creation Library (WCL) from Jet Propulsion Lab
(JPL) for 2 years now and on the surface there
seems to be some overlap.  If you're not familiar
with WCL I'd suggest you check it out.  It has
a large following in the X community.

Thanks for any help you can give me on the
color table.  And please put me on any list
you have for xgrass updates.

----
Greg LaCoste    greg at seismo.do.usbr.gov
Seismotectonics, Bureau of Reclamation, Denver CO