No subject

Net.Noise owner news at max.cecer.army.mil
Thu Dec 10 12:55:47 EST 1992

Newsgroups: info.grass.user
From: rob at zorro.cecer.army.mil (Rob Knauerhase)
Subject: Re: GRASShopper now available on Usenet
Sender: news at news.cecer.army.mil (Net.Noise owner)
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1992 17:55:44 GMT

In <199212101332.AA16433 at hogan.pop.psu.edu> meij at pop.psu.edu (Hendrik K. Meij) writes:
>> 	info.grass.user
>> and	info.grass.programmer
>>
>How and where is this feed coming from ?? rn or trn show no other
>lists starting with info....

info is a special hierarchy set up for the purpose of gatewaying mailing
lists to news.  As such, your site might not carry it by default, but you can
ask your news administrator to pick it up.  The feed is carried by UUnet and
most of the major Usenet backbone sites, so it's probably just a matter of
configuring to receive it at your site.
    There's a lot of other good stuff in info.* too, and by its nature, it
generally has a pretty high signal-to-noise ratio (i.e. little garbage).

>I would have expected
>	comp.infosystems.gis.grass

We thought about that option.  However, "comp" as a hierarchy has different
requirements than "info".  For example, there must be a set discussion period,
a set voting period, a certain number of votes, etc.  Based on the list
subscribership, such a vote would almost certainly pass, but the effort in
co-ordinating such a vote is too much for any OGI staff to take on at this
time (remember, preparations for 4.1beta are underway).

Anyway, we're straying a bit from GRASS here.  I'll be glad to answer any
other questions, but I'll probably do so in E-mail.  I posted this reply since
it might be of use to others who have Usenet but aren't getting info.* yet.

Rob
--
Rob Knauerhase [rob at amber.cecer.army.mil]  Office of GRASS Integration
Construction Engineering Research Labs, US Army Corps of Engineers