No subject

imager at ccwf.cc.utexas.edu imager at ccwf.cc.utexas.edu
Mon Jul 6 17:46:19 EDT 1992

Hello all,

I'm using an 8-bit display to view our raster data. I've examined the
support files that reside under $GISBASE/colr and colr2 to find that
the number of categories/colors in these files never exceeds 215
(why isn't this max. value = 256?).

I would like to know how colortable information is stored and 8
bit information differentiated from 24 bit. Would the number of
colors stored be any different if we were using a 24-bit device?
How is the colormode setting (fixed vs. float) affecting the way
these data are communicated to the hardware?

Thanks in anticipation of any help,

Tony Gale.