problems starting graphics monitors

Daniel Schulman daniel at muir.sscnet.ucla.edu
Fri Jul 17 15:41:56 EDT 1992

I recently installed grass4.0 on our sun system running openwindows v2.  I am having problems getting the XDRIVER to open up a graphics monitor.  I know I probably made a real dumb mistake somewhere, so any help to fix it will be greatly appreciated.

1)  before running the gmake, I uncommented the lines in the XDRIVER/XDRIVER/Gmakefile that refer to running under openwindows.

2)  when I try d.mon start=x0, I get:
GRASS 4.0 > d.mon start=x0
X Error:  BadMatch
  Request Major code 78 ()
  Request Minor code 1
  ResourceID 0x80069
  Error Serial #11
  Current Serial #12
Please start graphics monitor <x0>.
^CProblem selecting x0. Will try once more

3) I am pretty sure my /etc/monitorcap file is ok.

4)  Also d.mon won't start the sunview driver either (I tried it both under openwindows and sunview).

Thanks in advance for any help,

daniel at muir.sscnet.ucla.edu