GRASS questions

Stacey Poulson stacey at gis.wsc.monash.edu.au
Tue Mar 17 19:09:34 EST 1992

I have a few of questions about using GRASS.

First, I have a text file with East, North coordinates and a category number.
(eg. 39744e.306|5848254.30|#1
     397933.273|5849613.64|#1
     397480.161|5849700.77|#1
     398508.377|5851007.83|#1
     397968.128|5851164.68|#2
     396783.066|5849108.24|#2)
I want to reclassify a vector map using these new categories.
How do I introduce a new category file to an already existing
vector map using E.N. coordinates instead of the standard r.reclass format?
I heard that v.db might help me and I have been trying to compile v.db
but it gives me this error:
  SRC     = /gis/grass4/src
  CMD     = /gis/grass4/src/CMD
  HEADER  = head.new
  ARCH    =
  GISBASE = /gis/grass4
  VERSION = 4.0 Summer 1991
/gis/grass4/src/mapdev/v.db
  make -f OBJ/make.rules

rm -f OBJ/Gdbvect.o
f77  -c Gdbvect.f
sh: f77: not found
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `OBJ/Gdbvect.o'

I don't know why it can't make the object files, any ideas?

Second, I have a few site files and want to print them out
with the site labels showing.  Everytime I try this there are several
labels that overlap and can not be read.  How do I rearrange the size
and position of these labels?

Third, we have used r.cross to combine three maps. The resulting map
has definate regions defined but we are unsure of how the computer clumped
them into these regions.  What I am looking for is the statistical manipulation
that the machine does, how it looks at the data, analyzes and clumps it into
categories. I have tryed to find this information in the manual pages but
they don't go to great lengths and I'm not a C programer so I can't
interpret the program file.

I found out about this list a few days ago, as you can see the questions
have been piling up in the meantime.  I appreciate your help.

Sincerely,
Stacey Poulson
stacey at gis.wsc.monash.edu.au
Monash University