PC X-windows revisited

Don Baird baird at bml4380.cpg.cdc.com
Thu Sep 24 17:55:42 EDT 1992

To all

On September 17th, Joachim Wiesel (wiesel at ipf.bau-verm.uni-karlsruhe.de)
writes:

> HCL/exceed/W and Exceed have problems with colors and the x-monitor.

We too have used PCs as X-terminals.  For one show, I rented a cheap
386SX 16MHz clone, added a 3Com Ethernet card and Exceed.  The system
had a non-supported 1024x768 video setup, but nevertheless, Exceed
did successfully perform on that somewhat meager configuration.
The PC display attracted much notice during the show.  We ran an NCD
X-terminal and the PC side by side; no color problems were encountered
with the PC running Exceed.

Two things to keep in mind when considering a similiar setup:

  Most X-Terminals (NCD, etc) are 16" or larger, where most PC monitors
   are 14".  The larger screen does make a difference.

  Graphics performance of a PC vs an X-terminal may vary greatly.  The
   X-terminal does only one job - interface to the screen.  The PC, on the
   other hand, is a general purpose piece of equipment.  Upgrade of the
   PC graphics (Joachim referenced use of an ATI Graphics Vantage, with
   8514 mode) has the potential of making the PC X-terminal an even better
   choice

Exceed is also in use at CERL, the home of GRASS

Regards,
Don
--

   C O N T R O L   |           Control Data Systems, Inc.            |