Adding *.man files to online manuals

Darrell McCauley mccauley at ecn.purdue.edu
Fri Aug 20 16:21:06 EDT 1993

Doug Hersh (dhersh at lupine.mbl.edu) writes on 20 Aug 93:
>How does one add the *.man files recieved with contributed programs
>so that they appear in the g.manual listing, (command) help, and

"SRC" below can be found by running 'gmake4.1' or by looking
at the output of 'more `which gmake4.1`'

cp the man page to SRC/../man/man4, then run 'gmake4.1' in SRC/../man

running 'command help' does not depend on the man page

for the g.help command, you need to create something in
SRC/../man/help.src and run the appropriate gmake.

For any programmers listening, I've found that the following
target in a Gmakefile works good (so that this is done automatically).

MSEC=4
MDIR=$(SRC)/../man/man$(MSEC)
MUTL=$(SRC)/../man/utilities

man:
        -cp s.semivar.man $(MDIR)/s.semivar
        nroff $(MUTL)/man.version $(MDIR)/.class-header \
           $(MUTL)/man.header s.semivar.man $(MDIR)/.class-notice \
           > $(GISBASE)/man/$(MSEC)/s.semivar

--Darrell