rasterizing digitized contour maps

Allan Axon aaxon at ogsun1.dnr.ohio.gov
Thu Feb 25 11:41:14 EST 1993

> I imagine some of you have done this before:
>
> I have a digitized contour map that I want
> to turn into a DEM. I rasterized the contours
> with v.to.rast, which worked fine, and now want
> to interpolate all the cells between the contours.
>
> I am trying to use r.surf.idw2 to do this,
> but I have two questions:
>
> 1. Is this the best way to do this? I expect
> some strange results using r.surf.idw2, because
> for cells near a contour, all the nearest cells
> used in the interpolation will have the same
> value, so the interpolated cell will just be
> assigned the same value as the nearby contour.
>
> 2. I launched r.surf.idw2 yesterday on a SPARC 10,
> and it is still working this morning. The map is
> 834 by 989. How long is this going to take?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Bob Harrington
> Hydrology and Water Resources
> University of Arizona

Bob,
	Use r.surf.contour.  This may also take a lot of time depending on
some criteria discussed in the g.manual pages.  I think r.surf.idw2 is for
gridding from point data.

Allan Axon

Ohio Department of Natural Resources |
Division of Geological Survey        |
Mineral Resources and                |      Phone: 614-265-1030
        Geochemistry Section         |      FAX:   614-447-1918
4383 Fountain Square Dr.             |
Columbus, OH  43224-1362             |
Internet:  aaxon at ogsun1.dnr.ohio.gov