No subject

Net.Noise owner news at max.cecer.army.mil
Sat Mar 6 23:29:49 EST 1993

Newsgroups: info.grass.user
From: shapiro at zorro.cecer.army.mil (Michael Shapiro)
Subject: Re: dem extraction & examine
Sender: news at news.cecer.army.mil (Net.Noise owner)
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 1993 04:29:48 GMT

In <9302191938.AA02409 at rogue.geo.duke.edu> riker at rogue.geo.duke.edu (Dan Riker) writes:

m.dem.extract has been worked on a lot. The problems are not GRASS vs
sparc stations, but partly due to the variability in the DEM format
supplied by USGS. The new m.dem.extract (on the moon and in 4.1)
tries to be more flexible about the USGS "formats" as well as allowing
for input from disk files. Note that this program only expects DEM
data, but USGS will distribute tapes that have both DEM and DLG data,
and some of the DEM formats are incorrect. The DLG data must be
eliminated when copying to disk, but some of the DEM format problems
m.dem.extract can work around. But, note, this is not true of
m.dem.examine, which was retained unaltered. You can run an
examine using m.dem.extract (newer version) by simply not specifying an
output layer.

--

Michael Shapiro U.S. Army CERL
Environmental Division