Where is GISGEN ?

Greg Koerper greg at towhee.cor2.epa.gov
Fri May 28 14:05:40 EDT 1993

> 	Howdy,
>
> 	I have just downloaded the GRASS sun binaries from moon.cerer.army.mil .
> I have a problems which I hope someone will be able to help me with.
>
> 	xgrass4.1 comes up fine when I start it.  When I try to set a display
> ( "d.mon start=x0" )I can't.  I get a message about problem selecting x0,
> look at the monitorcap file.  The installation guide says I should have named
> pipes created by GISGEN.  But since I just down loaded the binary
> I don't have GISGEN.  Nor do I have any of the other stuff in the source
>  directory.
> 	Could some kind soul please help me out.  Either tell me that is
> I should RTFM on page ... the answere is clear.  Or email me GISGEN and
>  other files I might need to solve this problem, or maybe even a
> clue on what I should do.

Sounds like you need to do the following (from GISGEN.sh)

# create fifo files for graphics drivers
for i in a b
do
        fifo=0
        while test $fifo -lt 21
        do
                if test ! -f $GISBASE/dev/fifo.$fifo$i
                then
                /etc/mknod $GISBASE/dev/fifo.$fifo$i p
                chmod 0666 $GISBASE/dev/fifo.$fifo$i
                echo $GISBASE/dev/fifo.$fifo$i created
                fi
                fifo=`expr $fifo + 1`
        done
done

as specified under src/CMD/generic/GISGEN.sh which you apparently do not have.
Be sure to obtain a copy of the installation manual which describes this
and other interesting nuances.  If my memory serves me well (a rare event
these days), it is at the ftp site under

	/grass/grass4.1/releaseInfo/betaRelease.notes

or some such thing.  This will explain the relationship between the fifos
(some day I'll give this name to a dog) and the monitorcap file.

greg

Greg Koerper                            Internet: greg at heart.cor.epa.gov
ManTech Environmental Technology, Inc.  UUCP:     hplabs!hp-pcd!orstcs!koerper
US EPA Environmental Research Lab
200 SW 35th St., JSB
Corvallis, OR   97333           "The 90s will make the 60s look like the 50s.
(503) 754-4490                          Just ask your kids."
 fax:  (503) 754-4338