g.setproj

Timothy Keitt tkeitt at algodones.unm.edu
Fri Aug 26 12:58:55 EDT 1994

>>>Can someone explain how g.setproj works.  According to the man page, it
>>>should prompt for the projection.  In practice howver, it seems to read
>>>the proj from DEFAULT_WIND.  The problem I'm finding is that the only
>>>valid proj: values are:
>>>       0:(xy)
>>>       1:(utm)
>>>       2:(state plane)
>>>       3:(ll)
>>>and g.setproj doesn't like anything else.  So how do I get nifty
>>>projections like aea,lcc,merc,tmerc?  Note this is the same list that
>>>comes up for me when making a new location.  Shouldn't that include all these
>>>projections?
>>>

>>Yes it should.  This is a severe weakness in GRASS.
>>
>>Tim
>
>.... which was largely rectified in GRASS4.1 using proj:value "99" ("other")
>which allows a _large_ selection of projections.  I use Lambert Conformal
>Conic and Albers Equal Area regularly.  I suggest you update too.

I have 4.1 but I don't (generally) do vectors.  Is there an easy way
in GRASS to convert raster data between different projections?  Really
I'm just curious as I would like to be able to overlay images from
different sources with different projections.  I'm thinking of adding
this functionality into Khoros v2, but would be interested in knowing
if it already exists in GRASS or elsewhere.

Tim -- "If only the world were flat!"