To HP or not to HP

Nalneesh Gaur ngaur at apwk01g3.abrfc.noaa.gov
Fri Feb 25 11:59:51 EST 1994

GRASS runs well on the HP's. We have 9 HP 9000, 755 series. The code compiles
faster than anyother machine, that GRASS was ever used. The things to
know when setting up GRASS is the location of all the libraries. Specially
the X stuff. XGRASS will not compile. We tried and got the executable XGRASS
from elsewhere, but even then xclip did not work, leading to more
frustration. Basically all the default answers on the set up script should
get things going. Go through the installation manual. Some commands in
imagery operations may not compile. You can however skip them and move on.

You can get the binaries for the HP from the message below:

Yes the binaries for the 700 series machines are on pampas.cr.usgs.gov
        and accessable through anonymous FTP. There is a problem though.
        XGRASS was written for Motif 1.1 and X11R4. When you compile it
        with Motif 1.2 and X11R5 the program doesn't work properly. I've asked
        CERL to get me a fix. Still no reply.

Good luck

Nalneesh Gaur, River Forecast Center, TULSA