GRASS Transportability ?

Doug Dotson ld+0075!dotson at uu5.psi.com
Tue Jan 18 16:48:09 EST 1994

>[1] What flavor of C is GRASS written in ? ANSI or K&R ?
>[2] Are the display calls suffieciently isolated that a port to another
>display system would be manageable ?
>[3] Has anyone tried compiling GRASS using a C++ Compiler.

Jim,
Here are answers to your questions:
[1] Yes! (Both I mean) but mostly in K&R style.
[2] Yes! But the client/server architecture make it a bit of a chore
	for simpler machines (non-multitasked machine).
[3] No, it wouldn't work since C++ does not support the K&R standard.

I am in the process of porting GRASS to MSDOS.  Things are going quite well
so far.  The biggest problem was reengineering the client/server display
architecture into a simpler one without converting massive amounts of
existing code.  I have almost completed the conversion of d.display and it's
attendant programs.  It actually runs better than on my SUN Sparc since the
communication bottlenecks of client/server have been eliminated.  I will be
working on v.digit and LTPlus next.

I will post a message to this list when it is ready enough for anyone
else to use.  It will be several weeks however.  Maybe a test version of
d.display (called d_displa in MSDOS) will be ready in couple of weeks.

On another note, someone on theis list mentioned USGS DEM data via an ftp
site in Reston?  Does anyone have a hostname for this machine?

Speleologically Yours,
Doug Dotson, President
Speleotechnologies
P.O. Box 504