site basics

Darrell McCauley mccauley at ecn.purdue.edu
Fri Jan 21 14:21:24 EST 1994

KLENKUS1 at VAXC.STEVENS-TECH.EDU (KLENKUS1 at VAXC.STEVENS-TECH.EDU) writes on 21 Jan 94:
>I have been doing similar work with GRASS.  My data was taken
>from a coastline in the form of x,y and z.  The data was
>imported using s.in.asci and to make the map I used
>s.surf.tps.  I found that it gave me a better approximation
>of the coast.

>If anyone has a better solution for irregular spaced data,
>it would be welcomed.

Maybe not "better," but "alternative" solutions are being developed
(see appended). TOMS 677 can supposedly deal well with data that
have steep slopes (like your coastline problem).
See the article in ACM Trans. on Math. Soft. (TOMS).

--Darrell

I am currently working on the following for my own purposes:
 s.bissf  ACM Trans. on Math. Soft. Algorithm 677
          (Akima's method)
 s.masub  ACM Trans. on Math. Soft. Algorithm 677
 s.c2grid ACM Trans. on Math. Soft. Algorithm 684
 s.qshep2 ACM Trans. on Math. Soft. Algorithm 660
          (Modified Shepard's Method)
(which offer alternatives to s.surf.idw and s.surf.tps).
These are currently being developed and may be contributed
to GRASS if I can get them working.