UTM coordinates in xgdisplay

Malcolm Williamson malcolm at cast.uark.edu
Mon Jan 31 15:40:53 EST 1994

> GRASS users:
>
> I did an image rectification of a scanned map and everything went well. I
> then wanted to check the coordinates using xgdisplay's query raster
> function. To my surprise the coordinates were significantly in error in
> both Northing and Easting. I decided to double check this using d.rast and
> d.where and I found that the coordinates were very accurate when queried
> this way.
>
> This means that my xgdisplay doesn't agree with d.where and I believe the
> problem is with xgdisplay (I hope it's with xgdisplay). I should note that
> I am running GRASS on an HP 720 with HPUX 9.01 which is not an officially
> supported GRASS. This may only be a problem with *my* xgdisplay binary.
>
> I am interested to know if others have experienced this problem, either on
> HPs or other platforms. I am using GRASS 4.1 with the 3 updates.
>
> Regards,
>
> Doug

I'm not one to bad-mouth GRASS modules, but I've never been able to keep
xgdisplay up and running long enough to find such a bug!! I hope that sometime
in the future someone is able to take the time to make xgdisplay more robust,
because it is basically a neat little program.

My 2 cents - not necessarily my employer's.
--
Malcolm D. Williamson - Research Assistant       E-mail: malcolm at cast.uark.edu
Center for Advanced Spatial Technologies      Telephone: (501) 575-6159