Vector binary file format

Mark P. Line markline at henson.cc.wwu.edu
Thu Mar 3 07:01:31 EST 1994

On Thu, 3 Mar 1994 Phil.Watson at newcastle.ac.uk wrote:

> Does anyone have documentation on the vector binary file format ?  The
> programmers manual just has doco for the ascii format !  The reason I
> want this is so we can access grass vector files directly from our own
> software like we can for cell files (which ARE documented :-).

That format is not documented because it's none of your business. ;)

Seriously, I would suggest either converting your vector binaries to ascii
files and accessing the latter from your own software, or else using the
Vector Library described in Ch. 13 of the Programmer's Manual, which is
the documented (and intended) means of accessing binary vector files. The
assumption here is that an API remains more stable than a file format when
new versions of GRASS are released.

If you still have trouble, you can contact me directly if you want, or
post further questions to the grassp mailing list.

-- Mark

Mark P. Line                       Phone: +1-206-733-6040
Open Pathways                        Fax: +1-206-733-6040
P.O. Box F                         Email: markline at henson.cc.wwu.edu
Bellingham, WA 98227-0296