Tim Miller tmiller at bvu-lads.loral.com
Mon Jul 24 14:44:27 EDT 1995

Orignal Post:

> Hello All,
>
> Sorry for the cross-post on several lists.
>
> I am very intrestested in constructing a list of all digital surface data,
> such as, geomorphology, soils, surfacial geology, other associated
> data sets, and a list of companies/organizations that construct data of
> this type in a digital form.
>

> Currently, My list:
>
> Data Set                                        From
> ------------------------------------------      -----------------
> Interim Terrain Data (ITD)                      DMA
> Tactial Terrain Data (TTD)                      DMA
> State Soil Geographic Data Base (STATSGO)       US DEPT. Ag. NRCS
> Soil Interpretation Record Data Base (SIR)      US DEPT. Ag. NRCS
> National Soil Geographic Data Base (NATSGO)     US DEPT. Ag. NRCS
> National Soil Characterization Data             US DEPT. Ag. NRCS
> Map Unit Interpretattion Record DataBase (MUIR) US DEPT. Ag. NRCS
> Soil Survey Geographic Data Base (SSURGO)       US DEPT. Ag. NRCS
>

> If any one has any further information if you send it to me
> (tmiller at bvu-lads.loral.com).
>
> I'll post a summary of all my findings, and try to give a
> short  descriptions of all the data sets.
>

> Thanks
>
> +----------------------------------------------------+
> | Timothy Miller                                     |
> +-----------------------+----------------------------+
> | Loral ADS             | tmiller at bvu-lads.loral.com |
> | 13810 SE Eastgate Way | Tel: (206) 957-3211        |
> | Suite 500             | Fax: (206) 746-1335        |
> | Bellevue, WA 98005    |                            |
> +-----------------------+----------------------------+

I would like to thank all the people who replied to my
question.  I'll keep an on going list if you want any
info in the feature please let me know and if you have
any info you would like to add please send it to me.

General Overview and Summary of all replies

From: Paul Loechl, loechl at diego.cecer.army.mil

o Manual of Federal Geographic Data Products
o National Geophysical
o Data Center, and state soil agenices

>From Michael Ballard, ballard at igs.net

Pole Star Geomatics is supposed to be a well rounded GIS consulting
and service firm, but it seems most of my work lately has been on
surficial materials data sets. I see your list so far is primarily
U.S. gov't data. I can add a few pointers to Canadian gov't data
authors. You should check out:

The Canadian Soil Information System ( CanSIS )
Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada.
http://res.agr.ca/home.html

From: Chris Duncan, duncan at GEOLOGY.GEO.CORNELL.EDU Chris Duncan

o Digital Chart of the World (DCW)

From: Gail Taylor, taylor at vinny.cecer.army.mil

Many of the state agencies in the United States also
produce digital data layers for those mentioned. They
are too numerous to mention but you might want to make
note of this in your list.

From: Carrie J. Patterson, patte018 at maroon.tc.umn.edu

The Minnesota Geological Survey produces digital versions of our
maps.  We have just started doing this but some of our older map
products have been digitized  by the users.  The state office called
Land Management Information Center (LMIC) is a clearing house for
all digital data for the state of Minnesota.