Want to know more about GRASS

David Viebrock viebrock at gis.cwu.edu
Wed Apr 10 08:00:00 EDT 1996

On Wed, 10 Apr 1996, John M. Brown wrote:

> Hi
>
>         Just introduced to GRASS and would like to know what type of
> computer I will need to run this software?  I heard there is a PC version
> being developed?  Is there anything for the Macintosh?
>
>         A friend said I will need a workstation such as a Silcon Graphics
> or Sun Sparc.  Does anyone have a used workstation for sale?
>
>         Regards:  JB
>
> John M. Brown
> AIR
> 2811 Lynnwood Dr.
> Columbia, MO  65203
> 1-573-442-6273

        I use GRASS on an IBM PC with 16MB RAM, 3GB SCSI storage, and SCO
Unix but I only have to cover the 100,000 acres or so in our irrigation
district.  If you have to cover, say, an entire county, then I wouldn't
recommend less than a SPARC 10 with 60 MB RAM and several Gigs of
storage.  So it depends on the size of your coverage area and the amount
of data you have to keep on the system at all times.  Whatever your
budget, BUY THE FASTEST COMPUTER YOU CAN AFFORD.  It will save you more
in the long run.  Don't hold your breath on the Macintosh; doesn't seem
to be the computer for the future, esp. with their recent financial woes.

Dave Viebrock
viebrock at gis.cwu.edu
1-509-925-6158