Want to know more about GRASS

David Viebrock viebrock at gis.cwu.edu
Wed Apr 10 08:00:00 EDT 1996

On Wed, 10 Apr 1996, John M. Brown wrote:

> Hi
>
>         Just introduced to GRASS and would like to know what type of
> computer I will need to run this software?  I heard there is a PC version
> being developed?  Is there anything for the Macintosh?

        I use GRASS 4.15 on an IBM PC running SCO Unix 3.0.0 with 3GB
SCSI storage and 16MB RAM but I only have to cover the 100,000 or so
acres in our irrigation district.  If you have to cover an entire county
then don't consider less than a SPARC 10 with 64 MB RAM and several Gigs
of storage.  Whatever your budget, BUY THE FASTEST COMPUTER YOU CAN
AFFORD!  It will save you more in the long run.  Don't hold your breath
on the Mac; it doesn't seem to be the computer for the future.  I
wouldn't be suprised if Macintosh develops serious financial woes in the
next year as the PC market matures.