Graphichs Monitor Problem

Dave and Sue Viebrock viebrock at seanet.com
Sun Dec 29 16:04:44 EST 1996

Hello GRASS Users,

I am attempting to run GRASS4.1 under Red Hat Linux version 4.0 which I have
recently acquired.  Linux works great but I am experiencing a problem when
trying to call up a graphics monitor with the "d.mon start=x0" command.
When I issue the command the system returns the following error message:

        X error of Failed Request: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
                Major opcode of failed request: 78 (X_CreateColorMap)
                Serial number of failed request: 25
                Current Serial Number in output stream: 26
        Error-could not complete locking process for monitor x0
        Lock file is /usr/grass/locks/localhost/mon.100482
        Problem selecting x0.  Will try once more.
        Error-could not complete locking process for monitor x0
        Lock file is /usr/grass/locks/localhost/mon.100482

I have heard that a couple of library files are needed to properly run GRASS
(libX11.so.3 and libXT.so.3.1.0) and I have put them into these directories
under "grass" ownership:

        /usr/lib
        /usr/X11R6/lib
        /usr/X11/lib
        /usr/grass/driver

Can anyone tell me where I am going wrong and or how to fix this problem?
Any assistance is much appreciated.

-Dave Viebrock