Graphichs Monitor Problem

Lawrence Houston grass at boyd.geog.mcgill.ca
Mon Dec 30 02:52:34 EST 1996

On Sun, 29 Dec 1996, Dave and Sue Viebrock wrote:

> I am attempting to run GRASS4.1 under Red Hat Linux version 4.0 which I have
> recently acquired.  Linux works great but I am experiencing a problem when
> trying to call up a graphics monitor with the "d.mon start=x0" command.
> When I issue the command the system returns the following error message:
>
>         X error of Failed Request: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
>                 Major opcode of failed request: 78 (X_CreateColorMap)
>                 Serial number of failed request: 25
>                 Current Serial Number in output stream: 26
>         Error-could not complete locking process for monitor x0
>         Lock file is /usr/grass/locks/localhost/mon.100482
>         Problem selecting x0.  Will try once more.
>         Error-could not complete locking process for monitor x0
>         Lock file is /usr/grass/locks/localhost/mon.100482
>
> I have heard that a couple of library files are needed to properly run GRASS
> (libX11.so.3 and libXT.so.3.1.0) and I have put them into these directories
> under "grass" ownership:
>
>         /usr/lib
>         /usr/X11R6/lib
>         /usr/X11/lib
>         /usr/grass/driver
>
> Can anyone tell me where I am going wrong and or how to fix this problem?
> Any assistance is much appreciated.

Dave:

The "standard" GRASS 4.1 XDRIVER ONLY works with X-Servers running in
8-bit (256 Colour Mode).  The above probably indicating that you are
running your Red Hat 4.0 Server in a 15/16 or 24 bit Colour Mode?  Moving
back to the 8-bit mode should get GRASS's XDRIVER working for you!

Lawrence Houston  -  (houston at boyd.geog.mcgill.ca)