sdts

James Darrell McCauley mccauley at mcs.com
Sat Feb 17 07:00:00 EST 1996

In article <{9602152027?AA23939%}@bnr.ca>,
Larry Moore <grassu-list at max.cecer.army.mil> wrote:
>At one time there were plans to implement the Spatial Data
>Transfer Standard (SDTS) in GRASS.  An article about this
>was published by USACERL in Cartography and Geographic Information
>Systems in July 1994.  I have been unable to find any
>reference to further activity on the GRASS web or ftp sites.
>Does anyone have any information or pointers to information?
>
>Please reply directly to lmoore at usgs.gov.
[...]

I'll post as well since I have some related questions.

The SDTS software for GRASS, which covers only the vector profile,
is at ftp://moon.cecer.army.mil/grass/incoming/SDTS*

Does anyone plan to write something for the raster profile?

What is the future of SDTS? How is it progressing at ANSI?

I have heard that Australia is looking at it, but the EC has
DIGEST, France has EDIGEO, and Canada has SAIF.  What about ISO?
A month ago Kurt Buehler said that there was opposition to SDTS
at ISO---they want to start over and write another standard!

Does anyone have programming experience with SDTS? I have
been working with a trade organization that will likely adopt
SDTS. There has been some discussion of funding either
 1. a simple tab, comma, or CSV value ASCII file to vector
    profile generator, or
 2. an OLE custom control, usable by any mapping package
    (produced by a member company), to write either a raster
    or vector profile (for all entity types).
If there is anyone that is interested in this, drop me a line.
We would certainly want to utilize any available code (GRASS
or the Common Software Platform), but if SDTS will be dead in
three years, we may need to re-think the whole situation.

--
Darrell McCauley, PhD; mccauley at mcs.com; http://www.mcs.com/~mccauley/