SHANNON INDEX AND MUCH MORE

Massimo Vincini radlab1.pc.unicatt.it at aixmiced.mi.unicatt.it
Wed Oct 2 08:00:00 EDT 1996

> 3)  How can I import maps whose projection is Gauss-Boaga?

I don't know this projection, but the thing you'll have to do is find
out the parameters used for this projection. I don't know what kind of
projection Gauss-Boaga is; it may be Transverse Mercator like the German
Gauss-Kr|ger system. In that case you'll need to know the central meridian
and the k-value used. This information is usually available from the
national geographical servive, I don't know how this is arranged in
Italy. Anyway, once you found out what projection it is and what
parameters you need, you can specify this in the PROJ_INFO file by
taking projection 99 (other) and then it should work. If you can't find
out what the parameters are, you can always cheat by taking projection
0 (x,y).

Philip Verhagen

                -----------------------------------

Gauss Boaga is a modified Italian UTM:
(ante wwII , not used in recent cartography):
1) Italy is divideded in two zones of 6  each.
2) West zone has the y-axis (central meridian of the zone) at 9 E.
The conventional kilometric value of the axis is 1500.
3) East zone has the y-axis (central meridian of the zone) at 15 E.
The conventional kilometric value of the axis is 2520.
So each zone has its own grid.
4) Furthermore is based on the international ellipsoid but not on
European Data 50.

Ciao, Massimo.