elevation and bathymetric data from EDC-DAAC

Leslie Apollon la at las.com
Wed Apr 30 15:10:03 EDT 1997

At 11:16 AM 4/30/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Dear GRASS users,
>
>      I am new to this newsgroup and I am just in the process
>of planning and studying how to download and install GRASS in my
>LINUX system. I already found a site were I can download the LINUX
>binaries of GRASS. I have been following this news group for already
>5 months and my impression is that GRASS has still many problems
>and bugs that needs to be fixed and if you are not an expert in
>programming, you will have a lot of frustrating moments. Before I plunge
>into this wonderful world of frustrations, I would like to know if my
>main objective will be met by using GRASS. I recently acquired 30sec X
>30sec elevation and bathymetric data which I plan to use in my
>reasearch. This data is freely distributed by EDC-DAAC of the USGS. The
>format according to the documentation is readable by ARCINFO. Since I
>can't afford to use this expensive software, I would like to know if
>there is anyone from this group who had experience in reading this type
>of data using GRASS. Thank you in advance to anybody who will answer my
>inquiry.
>
>BART BAUTISTA
>Dept. of Earth and Planetery Sciences
>Kyoto University
>Sakyoku, Kyoto 606
>JAPAN

Dear Bart.

I suspect that your data, even if readable by Arc-Info, may not be in
Arc-info format. This is important because Grass has a couple of import
routines that might deal with that.

If your elevation data is a raster DEM or DTED, correct me if I am wrong,
there are chances that the programs m.dem.extract and m.dted.extract might
do the trick.

For the bathymetric data, i don't know, since there is no indication in your
message about in which format the data REALLY is.

But then, I may be way off line...
Leslie Apollon, M.Sc Géographie
Conseiller SIG - Support Technique

LAS Inc.                       tel. : (514) 858-1104
1570, rue Chabanel Ouest       fax  : (514) 389-9373
Montréal, Québec, Canada       e-mail: la at las.com
H4N 1H4

Grassland home-page : http://www.las.com/grassland