I.RECTIFIED?

Jean-Marc Chofflet chofflet at asterix.univ-paris1.fr
Tue Aug 12 10:55:04 EDT 1997

Hello dear GRASS users!

I'm a new GRASS (under Linux) user and have 2 problems :

First of all, I'm using GRASS but not only GRASS... which
means I'd like to be able to use my datas under various softwares.
So, I'm using the different GRASS progs to import/export data.

My first problem is that r.out.tga is producing huge files (24 bits
images)
although one uses only 8 bits images with GRASS... Is there another
raster
export prog which can produce 8 bits images (e.g. r.out.gif)?

My second problem is less obvious : I've scanned a map in 15 images.
Before digitizing it (with another software), I've i.rectified each of
them
(i.rectify2, 3rd order, at least 30 GCP's per image). When I try to
put the 15 rectified images together (after an r.out.tga) in any
software
(I'm now using CorelXARA under Windows) there are some distorsions, but
if
I first r.patch those and then r.out.tga the result, it fits perfectly!
I thought the images produced by i.rectify2 were... rectified!!!
You could say : "never mind, use r.patch!". Yes, except that it would
produce a file my poor Pentium 133, 64 MB of RAM and 4GB of HDD wouldn't
dare
to just look at it!

Thanks by advance

*     JM Chofflet                                 *
*     ERA 41 du CNRS       7, rue Gaston Couté    *
*     3, rue Michelet      F75018 Paris           *
*     F75006 Paris                                *
*     tel off. : +33 (0)1 53 73 71 08             *
*     tel home : +33 (0)1 46 06 88 59             *
*     fax      : +33 (0)1 44 07 01 79             *
*     Mailto:chofflet at asterix.univ-paris1.fr      *